Oracle Exalytics Proof of Concepts with Rittman Mead
Oracle Exalytics In-Memory machine is a combination of hardware and software optimized to run Oracle BI Foundation (OBIEE) and Oracle Essbase. For those organizations that are considering deploying Oracle Exalytics as their BI platform, either as a new implementation or an upgrade, it’s difficult to assess the benefits Exalytics can bring without trying it with your own dashboards and reports.
To help customers make the right choice around Exalytics, Rittman Mead now have an Exalytics Test Centre in their Brighton headquarters, that can be used by customers to evaluate the product. Usually performed free-of-charge and over a four week (elapsed) period, Rittman Mead’s Exalytics Proof of Concept service deploys your data and dashboards on our Exalytics server, applies new features around in-memory query acceleration and dashboard visualizations, and gives you the ability to see yourself the benefits, and steps involved, in moving to the Exalytics platform.
A typical Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine Proof of Concept takes around four weeks and involves the following steps:
- Meeting with customer stakeholders and sponsors to establish the proof of concept scope>
- Agree success criteria and measures of success
- Migrate a subset of your dashboards, analyses, other BI objects and BI Repository to the latest Exalytics OBIEE release (currently 18.104.22.168) using a standalone virtual machine (VM)
- Obtain an extract of your data, depersonalized and suitable for off-site use in our secure datacentre in London Docklands
- Enhance your current dashboards to take advantage of Exalytics visualizations, go-less prompts and other optimizations
- Package up PoC system and migrate to our Exalytics server
- Run migrated system on Exalytics server “as is” with no performance optimizations, to establish baseline performance
- Add in-memory results cache and BI Server/Presentation Server in-memory working areas, then benchmark
- Use the Summary Advisor to create in-memory aggregates in the Times Ten for Exalytics database, then benchmark
- Apply other optimizations as suited to the dashboard and dataset, produce final benchmark figures
- Present Exalytics-powered dashboard to client, make available for remote use from client site
- Final meeting between Rittman Mead and client team to assess results of PoC and agree next steps
From customers, we require a set of depersonalised source data that you are happy for us to use in our secure datacentre, with secure access via VPN to the server and all test data removed after the PoC completes. We will require access to the project sponsor and key stakeholders, and workshops to identity dashboards and reports in-scope, success criteria and your thoughts on how your dashboards and reports should look once migrated to Exalytics. We will then do most of the work off-site and using our own implementation team, and then make the migrated PoC system available for your testing and evaluation once the work is complete.
Rittman Mead were the first UK Oracle Gold Partner to obtain an Exalytics server, and have a dedicated implementation team who can help you move to the platform now. We also offer training for Exalytics administrators as part of our OBIEE 11g curriculum, and support services to look after you once we’ve migrated your system to the Exalytics server.
If you’re interested in talking to us about an Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine proof of concept exercise, or just a test-drive using a real Exalytics server and an example analysis exercise, email us now at email@example.com, or call us on +44 (0) 8446 697 995 (UK) now!