As part of my role as BIRT SIG chair, I have been involved in organising a special Exadata event later in April. The idea is to test the water to see if there is any traction in the UK for an Exadata special interest group. We originally raised and discussed the idea with the UKOUG at TEBS in December last year. We wanted to provide a forum or genuine user group where organisations could meet, discuss and swap ideas about their experiences using Exadata.
The event is now scheduled for Monday 18th April 2011 at Ambassadors Bloomsbury, London – see http://www.ukoug.org/events/exadata-special-event/ for exact details. The UKOUG has since put together a strong agenda for the event including our very own Stewart Bryson who is giving a paper on how agile development fits in the Exadata world. Stewart’s abstract is:
In Agile project management methodologies, user stories describe desired content and functionality delivered and verified in a short amount of time. But traditional data warehouse projects struggle to deliver completed user stories due to the complexity of the intermingled moving parts: data modeling, ETL, front-end development, and a QA process that needs to validate the data from source to target.
Combining the logical modeling capabilities of OBIEE 11g, the brute force of the Oracle Database Machine, and the “Smart”-ness of Oracle Exadata Storage provides the power and flexibility to drive the completion of user stories within the standard time-frames demanded by Agile projects.
The full agenda is as follows:
- 09:30 - Registration and coffee
- 10:00 - Welcome and Introduction - Lisa Dobson, UKOUG Director
- 10:15 - Consolidating on Exadata Database Machine: Managing Resources - Dan Norris, Oracle
- 11:15 - Coffe
- 11:35 - Understanding Exadata Performance: Metrics and Wait Events - Tanel Poder, E2SN Ltd
- 12:35 - Exadata POC’s – An Oracle Partner Experience - David Henderson, e-DBA Limited
- 13:20 - Lunch
- 14:00 - Exadata implementation case study for LinkShare - Alex Gorbachev, Pythian
- 15:00 - Agile DW with Exadata and OBIEE - Stewart Bryson, Rittman Mead
- 15:45 - AOB
- 16:15 - Close
Please come and join us at the event.